- Location: Ruthin, North Wales
- Position: Service Manager
- Salary: Competitive
- Date posted: 29th Nov 2018
- Vacancy type: Permanent
Jones Bros is a dynamic and forward thinking organisation employing over 350 people and a fleet of over mobile plant and other ono-operated assets. With over 60 years’ experience, our teams deliver high quality environmental and civil engineering solutions, safely, for a diverse range of projects and clients.
Our flat management structure results in a flexible organisation where self-motivated, practical, problem solvers will thrive. Working in a team, the successful applicant will be given plenty of exposure to a variety of matters in a supportive working environment to develop knowledge and experience.
As Service Manager you will predominantly be based in our Plant department in Ruthin and will directly report to the Plant Manager.
The successful candidate will need to ensure that the company’s fleet of vehicles, plant and equipment are serviced, maintained and tested to a high standard in a safe and efficient manner ensuring that their availability is maximised, un-necessary downtime is avoided such that both internal and external clients are provided with an excellent quality of service.
The role’s responsibilities will include:
- Day to day management and support of the company’s fitters, establishing priorities and allocating work in line with these taking account of individual competences and experience, and ensuring all tasks are completed in a timely manner, to required standards and ensuring all health and safety requirements are complied with;.
- Ensure that all reported defects are prioritised and rectified as a matter of urgency and that associated records evidencing this are complete and up to date
- Prioritise and manage immediate breakdowns to ensure minimum disruption to client’s operations minimising non-productive down-time.
- Help maintain positive relationships with external and internal clients including site managers and supervisors and actively resolve any issues to maintain a positive image for the Jones Bros plant hire business.
- Schedule preventative maintenance and ongoing servicing in line with manufacturers’ recommendations and in line with company policies and ensuring that records of such work are adequately maintained.
- Ensure that the workshop and surrounding areas in the yard are kept clean and tidy and actively promote a “safety first” attitude within the workshop and fitters team.
- Review and authorise orders and cost allocations and job sheets on a weekly basis to ensure that all work has been satisfactorily completed and records are kept.
- Ensure that all workshop equipment is adequately maintained and that specialist equipment such as lifting gear, pressure vessels, electrical equipment and any local exhaust ventilation systems are safe and tested in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Actively manage the development of all your own ongoing training requirements as well the performance and development of all workshop and fitter staff including apprentices and trainees, providing guidance and leadership, conduct appraisals and ensure that all staff receive regular and constructive feed-back and that training needs are identified and progressed to develop their competencies, taking account of the needs for confidentiality.
- Ensure that there is regular and effective communication with all workshop and fitter staff such that they are fully aware of the quality standards to be met and are informed of proposed and implemented changes in policies and procedures which affect them.
- Regularly review policies and procedures so that improvements to reduce costs, or increase effectiveness or revenue, can be identified and implemented.
- Ensure that all workshop and maintenance related paper-work required by other company teams are completed accurately and submitted promptly.
- Ensure that all materials and parts are sourced in a cost effective and efficient manner and that proper orders are placed with approved suppliers at pre-agreed prices and that subsequent invoices are correct and coded in line with company procedures.
- Monitor supplier and sub-contractor performance to achieve optimum quality, and best value for money.
- Ensure all incorrect or surplus parts are returned to suppliers promptly and that proper credit is received.
- Support the Plant Manager in the running of the Plant Hire operations and deputise for him during periods of absence and holiday.
- Ensure that company procedures and systems relating to Quality, Health & Safety, and Environment are implemented and complied with as far as workshop, service and maintenance activities are concerned.
- Prepare and submit reports as required by the Board on workshop operations and issues as required from time to time
The role is for permanent employment.
To be considered for this Service Manager role the following attributes and experience are required;
- A keen interest in mobile plant
- Strong technical knowledge in mechanical plant
- Good leadership skills
- Effective and professional communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both as an individual and as part of a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines is crucial.
- Computer literacy with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and other Microsoft Office programmes.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Should be self motivated
- Proactive not reactive
- Represent the company positively
This is an opportunity that will reward you with a competitive benefits package and offers you support to further your professional training.
Upload your CV, Covering Letter and Application Form